Monday, October 26, 2009

Palestine


Tear gas bombs exploding over kitchen
table. Pulsing vein in my head.
Sitting with a friend in West Oakland.
We talk about her trip
to Palestine, she stops talking, her eyes
glaze over, shows me the pictures of death.

It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day. It’s a new life. 

Innumerable holes in buildings
children play in the front –
her talking is scattered –
I see the tear gas canisters
exploding above her head
hear their firecracker whisper
smell the burning bodies
the black lost vision.

It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day. It’s a new life.

I see the laughter of the Israeli soldiers
hear the screams of the moms and babies
separated. I see a Palestinian woman
head held low walking courageously alone
to buy groceries for dinner.
I see breaking bread.

It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day. It’s a new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment